Saturday, April 23, 2011

Reflections in Distance Learning

Perceptions
When pondering the perceptions of distance learning in the future, I come to one conclusion and that is that the perception of distance education will continue to improve.  The perception in 5 – 10 years should yield a more favorable outlook and within 10-20 years, a very new and positive perspective in online learning.  I have always heard it said that history repeats itself and as George Siemens cites in the video program “The Future of Distance Education” there is an increase in acceptance of distance education because of an increase in communication and better availability of tools.  Communication technologies, multimedia quality and content delivery continue to improve (Siemens).   I recall, that just 7 years ago, many of my colleagues thought that online learning was not going to persist and that the quality of such educational opportunities were substandard.  Today, many are starting to recognize that the quality of the education is far from substandard and that many of our students are beginning to choose distance options at other schools.  Finally, I see a trend towards trying to understand how our college can enter the playing field.  It is sad when we lose out to other, more expensive schools, simply because we do not participate in a way that our students require.
As online education evolves I am curious to see how the new regulation from the Department of Education, that takes effect in July 2011, will impact distance education.  The regulation will require that institutions request and receive approval from every state in which they operate distance education programs (Inside Higher Ed, 2011).  As I have talked with one of the Vice President’s at my college, my understanding is that many states are charging a fee to colleges who want to offer distance learning to their state.  I worry that this model will prevent some of the smaller schools, with specialized programs, from experiencing the growth that they will need to sustain their distance education programs.
The Role of the Instructional Designer
I feel as though the role of the Instructional Designer as a proponent for improving societal perceptions of distance learning is to, first and foremost, educate others.  I know that at my college there is a large discrepancy in how people view what an instructional designer does and if it is needed.  Many do not seem to see the value add that an Instructional Designer brings to the table.  We are making strides with this but it is slow.
A second area that an Instructional Designer should concentrate efforts on is staying up to date with new and emerging technologies.  Being able to stay in tune with how to deliver the most effective course is important.  In addition to the new technologies, the Instructional Designer must sometimes remind others of where we have been, where we are and where we are going in the distance education.  Sometimes it cannot be appreciated where things stand today if we aren’t reminded of where we began.
My Contribution
How will I help be a positive influence in this field?  I plan to live it!  I plan to continue to teach and always support distance education by offering all of my courses in a hybrid to fully online experience.  I will continue to learn from my students by listening to their feedback and trying to incorporate better learning strategies the next time around.  I will continue formal education in the field and will immerse myself in the topic so that I help others see the benefits of obtaining help from someone who can look beyond the course content.  Perhaps, one day, my college will include a position for an Instructional Designer.  I have just the right person in mind for the job ;).

2 comments:

  1. Distance education or distance learning is a mode of delivering education and instruction, often on an individual basis, to students who are not physically present in a traditional setting such as a classroom. Your post is very informative for people who want do study with their job. So, If you are looking for mba distance learning
    I reffered way2college for information about MBA distance learning . 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for providing these books. It would be really nice of you if you can use different file sharing websites.
    ACC 290 Week 2 Individual Assignment

    ReplyDelete